The shipping department: probably not the most profitable department of your entire company. No wonder so many companies decide not to put a computer back there -- just another added expense. Not only does the computer cost money, but then there is the upkeep to hardware and software as time goes on. On the other hand, adding a computer to the shipping area might just be one way to add more profits and streamline processes. What most businesses don’t consider is the amount of efficiency they will gain by adding a computer to the shipping department. Here are some time and money saving functions you can achieve by adding a computer in your shipping department.
- Using the accounting software or order entry system, the shipping department knows which orders need to be shipped without the office having to print a copy of the order and manually bring it back to them.
- The shipping department can document on their computer how many of each item they actually ship, and they can also print a packing slip to put in the box. This saves from having to tell the office what will ship and then wait for them to print the packing slip, or having the office print a packing slip and the shipping department hand-writing changes on it.
- Because the shipping department is documenting on their computer how many are shipped, there is no need for them to remember to tell the office that they weren’t able to ship all quantities, so invoicing is consistently more accurate.
- Shipping charges are more accurate, since the shipping department is able to put actual shipping costs on the order while they fill it. This also allows the invoice to be finalized quicker.
- By having the shipping department fill orders on the computer in accordance with what shipped, inventory is deducted as soon as it’s shipped, as compared with being deducted when the office gets the paperwork. The office can pull up the shipped orders on the computer and see exactly what shipped or which items may need to be put on backorder.
- All of these functions result in orders being filled more promptly, which means the invoice is ready to go to the customers more quickly, which in turn may lead to quicker payments from customers.
If the above functions fit for your company, you might want to try adding a computer to the shipping department and see if your processes can be streamlined. All of the steps saved can really add up over a year. Streamlining the process gives your office/sales people more time to sell and allows the shipping department to more efficiently complete their tasks.