Here are some staggering facts about the impact of paper on the environment, taken directly from www.payitgreen.org:
In one year, by switching from paper to electronic billing, statements, and payments, the average American household would...
- Save 6.6 pounds of paper
- Avoid producing 171 pounds of greenhouse gas emissions—the equivalent of:
- The emissions avoided by not driving 169 miles
- The emissions avoided by not consuming 8.8 gallons of gasoline
- Planting 2 tree seedlings and allowing them to grow for 10 years
- Preserving 24 square feet of forestland
- Avoid releasing 63 gallons of wastewater into the environment
- Avoid using 4.5 gallons of gasoline to mail paper items
Many people and businesses making small changes add up to a big difference!
Here are some things your business can do to help cut down on the use of paper:
- Send invoices electronically via e-mail.
- Provide your customers the option of electronic billing and payment options.
- Sign up your own business to receive and pay bills electronically.
- Send financial and other reports via e-mail instead of printing them.
- Use direct deposit to pay employees, and use electronic tax filing.